Monday, November 25, 2013

A Purrr-fect way to start a week



This week I'm sharing an art quilt that I have been working on for about a week.

It is a pattern by Terri Stegmiller.

I was asked to test out a pattern of Terri's...seen HERE.
It was great to be able to step outside my comfort zone and try to recreate her wonderful artwork.  If you haven't seen some of her work you should go to her BLOG and check it out.





For this piece I wanted to try out some of Terri's techniques by adding stencils and paint to my background to give a textured background.  I have been intimidated by stencils and I had a great time exploring them.  I still need some work, there is always a learning curve.  Next I painted the kitty on a separate piece of fabric and fused the purple kitty on the background.


 Then I pulled out the wool roving and wet felt the flowers, stitched then down and thought it would be a great time to practice my french knots.


And last I decided to needle felt the butterfly.  I really wanted the butterfly to be a 3-d element on the quilt.


Overall, this was a great project to explore.

What did I learn from it...better paint.  I used acrylic paint with a textile medium.  The fabric got harder texture than I wanted and made it difficult to free motion quilt.  Next time I do this kitty, I will try quilting it first and then add paint accents.  This is the fun thing about art quilting, no project has to be the same.

And remember to give some love to the artist that created this pattern, Terri Stegmiller.

Have a happy Monday!

Judy


4 comments:

  1. Great results Judy! I'm thrilled that you tried some techniques that I enjoy using. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful...I love the background and the felt flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful results....love the combination of techniques! There are some textile paints on the market that don't change the hand of the fabric...something to add to your shopping list?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experimenting paid off - this is adorable!! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin