Saturday, April 9, 2011

SEW minky

Ok I bit the bullet and tried sewing minky.  I just love the feel of minky and the make the best throw blankets BUT...
it is a pain in the butt to sew!

I had no trouble sewing the front and the back together with the help of spray adhesive, safety pins and a tons of straight pins.  But the binding is another story, or should I say another word...STRETCH!!!
I have said this before I'm not a quilter, so binding and mitered corners are word that make me cringe. 
Needless to say, I thought this was going to be one expensive doggie blanket once I started the binding.
But with help from my local quilt store, Sierra Sewing Center in Reno, and two very patient sales ladies they helped me through it.  Of course I needed a walking foot, and then a wider workspace and....well I bought a few tools to make my life easier. 
Ok hubby didn't think me spending $250 on sewing supplies was funny, but he did buy me this sewing machine and did know that it could be an expensive hobby.  He is still hopeful I will start making something and open an Etsy store and consign my goodies.

Anyways I was so happy to complete another sewing project this week!  Now off to work on some cards for the magazine and figure out what nest week's sewing project will be.

Happy Saturday, go out there and make something this week-end.
Judy

2 comments:

  1. What a great project - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to buy a blanket from you - that would be the next best thing to hugging you when I need it!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin